View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 8:36 AM
I am a typical

Along Memorial Avenue, Fort William Road, and Red River Road in Thunder Bay, it is not uncommon, at least in my experiences on the bus, to have to wait through as many as five light cycles to get through the intersection during rush hour. There are times where buses get so backed up they start bunching, and this is on a suburban route with a 15 minute frequency. Even during light mid-day traffic on Memorial, you frequently have to wait two cycles to cross, especially at its intersection with the Harbour "Expressway" (A four lane undivided road with three lighted intersections within a kilometre of each other and multiple turnoffs to businesses). Turning left off of the Thunder Bay Expressway onto Highway 102 or Red River Road during rush hour can take up to five cycles as well, the left hand turning lane frequently backs up more than 200m during rush hour and on a few occasions has stretched almost half a kilometre. Traffic on Highway 102 and Red River Road frequently back up so badly during rush hour that it causes grid lock in Jumbo Gardens and on Junot Avenue. Some vehicles get stuck on Junot for as much as 10 minutes because of this. There were times when I was living in Jumbo Gardens that the traffic would be backed up right out of the urban area, and considering its population has grown more than 10% since then, I imagine the situation is worse. This isn't a wide-scale thing, it's just at a couple intersections along the busiest roads in the city. The Expressway/102-Red River problem could be alleviated somewhat by forcing some traffic onto John Street, a mile south, but the problem would still exist.

The only solution the province is doing right now is building double turning lanes on the expressway. They expropriated land for Parclos in 1992 or 1993, but that project (which would have turned the entire expressway into a true freeway) was cancelled when the Conservatives were elected. The only interchange planned right now is at a lightly travelled intersection on the edge of town. I have no idea why they chose to build one there. Our highways are just as bad as Manitoba's, if not worse. Many don't even have shoulders yet.

Traffic overall isn't too bad here, and commutes don't suffer too much, but there are choke points in our road infrastructure that I guess are worse than anything Winnipeg experiences. The province isn't doing much about it either, I guess because they can't believe we suffer from these traffic problems just as much as Trueviking can't.