View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 4:49 PM

Journey to Churchill has a new resident coming soon:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html

CBC News
Posted: Jan 17, 2013 10:34 AM CST
Last Updated: Jan 17, 2013 10:33 AM CST

Hudson, a 15-month-old polar bear from the Toronto Zoo, is making to move in next couple of weeks but he needs to adapt to his new home.

I'm really excited to see how the JTC exhibit (coupled with the other park and zoo upgrades) turns out. I just visited the Vancouver Aquarium this past christmas break, and took my 17-month old son, and I think JTC is going to be Winnipeg's (near) equivalent, but with the Arctic twist of course. JTC will be a major attraction for families, school field trips, as well as visitors to the city. I am really looking forward to taking my son there, along with any family and friends that may come to town after it opens.

My group at the University, now an International Arctic research group, is now partnered with the zoo and is helping develop educational materials for their exhibits. They've modelled their sea ice tanks (for the bears and seals) after our sea ice research facility at the University, and can effectively grow their own sea ice and create a much better habitat than the previous polar bear enclosure.