Thread: North Side
View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 2:10 PM

Why the Acceptance?

I don't mean to offend anyone in asking, but I notice a certain 'acceptance' of the North End and its problems in the replies, and I infer this is commonly the case in Winnipeg.

I find that curious, and perhaps a tad disconcerting.

To be clear, Cities thoughout Canada, and the the world, have various degrees of less desirable neighbourhoods where greater poverty can be found.

But most work at eliminating the worst excesses of said areas, albeit with varying degrees of success.

In Toronto, the area just east of downtown was seen to be less than desirable for a long time. Dominated by 2 large scale public housing projects (Regent Park and Moss Park) and home to a number of nicer homes that had fallen into various states of disrepair, its was not 'The' place to be.

But first in fits and starts, by loosening zoning laws and by passively encouraging redevelopment, then by building a new palace of a police station, and by small efforts at beautification the area began to recover.

Now, as Toronto tears down Regent Park, the area is getting luxury condos, and is becoming a highly desirable area.

Other cities are trying to do the same. I would wonder that Winnipeg can't join that party.

On a purely superficial note, since my personal memories of your City are from 20 years ago....I looked at the sat. photos/maps.

Some dumb questions/thoughts/suggestions, which I'm sure to get corrected on.....

Integration: Why can't Redwood be plowed through to the west; and how about taking Inkster over the river?

Parks: On the north side of Redwood, west of the River, there seems to be a really un-attractive industrial parcel that looks like it would make a great waterfront park......

Transportation: This one is important, and particularly useful if you might want to attract University students to the area or young people.....

How about an LRT down Main to and then then down St. Mary?

Those are my sort of infrastructure type thoughts, not really knowing the area, I freely admit.