View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:21 AM

Thank you, nds88. You have been a great help and I highly appreciaty your ideas!

The worst indeed ended up happening and our new landlord is looking to increase our rent by ridiculous 31,5%. That is completely out of whack and despite capable of still affording it, we will definitely NOT be paying extra five figures annually for the same walls - no matter how fantastic this apartment has been. There is just so much more that one can do with that money and it is crazy to even think about putting so much money into accommodation.

Being a skyscraper lover to the heart, I am still depressed by the news and so I have yet to build a case to show how out of touch with reality they are. I doubt it will change anything, but I will certainly do it. Meanwhile we have already started looking at other apartments.

As it will be very difficult to find anything even remotely similar, our plan is to look for something different instead. I am sure we will have to settle for a lower floor in the future, but having a big balcony or patio would be nice. There are some interesting views some buildings in this city do offer. We have a great budget to be working with, so the biggest problem will be availability of great suites.

Leaving Downtown is a BIG question on our mind, as living in Downtown is fantastic. Even going across the water to Kitsilano feels like a huge mental step to take and for example Granville Bridge is anything but a short walk across.

Other considerations are also places like Metrotown and North Vancouver, but in Metrotown one is tied to the busy Skytrain (which can still be fast, but is crowded). In North Vancouver the prices seem to be much more affordable and there are some great skyline views, but those bridges and the weather...

So it seems to be 95% likely that we will be on our way out at the end of April, but on the positive note at least there is some activity on the rental market. Not surprisingly there are also other landlords trying to ask ridiculous rents, like that one person thinking he can still charge $5500 for his tiny Shangri-La apartment that lost all its views because of Trump and 745 Thurlow. Oh, how delucional some people can be that just the building will sell it...

So the search is once again on and I would appreciate any comments on areas and buildings. Rewards from the best tip will be some nice photos in the future.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 11, 2015 at 5:22 AM.