View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 1:06 AM
Movin' on up

Here is my humble opinion on the matter.

I doubt that anyone here is going to deny that what happened to aborigional people 100+ years ago was wrong. However, is there a continent on this planet (save Antarctica), where there haven't been battles for land, food, shelter, etc.? Violence is human nature. Hell, even the aborigionals of the new world murdered and mutalated eachother; women, children, seniors, no one was immune to death by the "enemy". Yet all people hear about is how the "white man" is the enemy. Violence is violence, and every race on this planet is guilty of it.

I guess some would argue that because the "white devil" had such a profound effect on aborigional lifestyles, they are the most horrific race on the planet. But why are aborigional people buying into the excuse that they should be supported for the rest of their lives? These people may have social issues, but do they not have brains too? Of course they do. They are human beings. And as intelligent human beings, why are there not more of them willing and able to attend school, get an education and make something of their lives? There are resources to help them out, so use them. Yes, having pride in your culture is one thing, but what about pride and self-confidence in your ownself? I believe this is just as important.

If you want to change your life, you have to be willing to change yourself and quit relying on others to a) provide for you or b) blame for your issues and downfalls in life. Can you imagine if everyone expected everyone else to provide for them because they blame all their issues on them?

People ultimately need to take responsability for themselves. Once the aborigional population does this, I am confident they will feel much better as individuals, and as a culture.

It's time to stop the blame game. I for one am tired of beating this dead horse issue that never goes anywhere positive.