View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 11:54 PM

That's good news. In addition to the nominee program, which I think is fantastic, it is of my opinion that we should set up quotas for refugees. Beyond quotas for countries, x, y, z, we should look at the rest of applications like resumes. Select only the most adequate. I know, certainly federally, that everyone has to wait their turn. I don't understand that. We can't have immigration be an arm of global welfare. We can set aside a bit for that, but the rest needs to be done in the best interests of the economics of the province. I think if you can streamline a system using those 3 tools of immigration - the nominee program, pre-set quotas for those who are struggling abroad, and hand selection - makes for a very, very strong program that hels some in need, allows families to build themselves, and fills necessary economic voids with valuable individuals.

Beyond all this, it is absolutely PARAMOUNT that we add more social housing. That article in the Free Press a few weeks back regarding the Iraqi family who immigrated here, and is living in absolutely squalor because no reasonable places exist to them is terrible. IF we are going to be bringing refugee status individuals in (which I think to a certain number is a wonderful idea) that we need to have the proper infrastructure to set them forth in their new Manitoban life. Otherwise we're wasting the time of the refugees, and the tax payer dollars of Manitobans, and worst of all, creating a human violation.