View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:35 PM

After a few days in Regina I continued my motorcycle travels to Lake of the Prairies via Yorkton and Roblin.

TCH - Regina to Balgonie
Very good due to the work being done as part of the Regina Bypass project

SK Highway 10 - Balgonie to Fort Qu'Appelle
This section was resurfaced a few years ago and is still in good condition. The addition of passing lanes every few kilometres has greatly helped to ease the congestion and people putting themselves at risk to pass.

SK Highway 10 - Fort Qu'Appelle to 10km NE of Balcarres
Brand new surface. Easy riding galore!!

SK Highway 10 - 10km NE of Balcarres to Melville
Older surface, starting to deteriorate. Still okay for autos and trucks but you just have to be more vigilante when riding a motorcycle.

SK Highway 10 - Melville to Yorkton
New surface most of the way. Once again no complaints.

SK Highway 10/MB Highway 5 - Yorkton to Roblin MB
Both highways will need work as the surface is starting to deteriorate. Still just fine for cars and trucks, but there were a couple of times I had to slow down to take care of some surface breaks.

MB Highway 83 - Roblin to Prairie Lakes Lodge turnoff (10km south of Roblin).
see above. Needs works and it seems that it'll likely happen next year.

MB Highway 83 - Prairie Lakes Lodge turnoff to Russell MB
Brand new surface.

TCH Highway 16 - Russell to Birtle turnoff
Pretty new highway to new surface highway. Two thumbs up!

TCH Highway 16 - Birtle turnoff to Shoal Lake
Poor condition and needs to be worked on. There is a sandpit in the Birdtail river valley and a LOT of gravel trucks were coming and going out of that site. Meeting a gravel truck on a two lane highway is (two me) a very dangerous encounter. One flying stone will really ruin your day. I was very careful when meeting the 20 trucks I encountered on that section.

TCH Highway 16 - Shoal Lake to Highway 10.
Good condition and easy riding

TCH Highway 16/MB Highway 10 (North of Minnedosa to south of Minnedosa)
Poor condition and needs to be worked on. This section is one of the dumbest designs around. Divided to single to divided, turnoff on the south curve. Lots of accidents in this intersection. Needs a redesign, but once again no money available for that.

MB Highway 10 - South of Minnedosa to south of Boissivain
Very good condition and pleasure to drive.

Other notes, I was at the International Peace Gardens and met a couple from the Twin Cities. They were on their way to Calgary via the TCH and for some reason were going to take Highway 18. I told them to stay on Highway 10 because its quicker and the highway is 50 times better.

I also wished I had a go pro when I drove through the ND side of the Turtle Mountain region. Lots of curves and hills made for an enjoyable ride on a motorcycle.