View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:44 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChabbs View Post
As a newer resident in North St. Boniface, I'm really happy with the changes, especially the increase of income to the area that the Pointe Hebert has brought. Yes it would be great if the area could have been used for more mixed use and higher density buildings but having that amount of development and some fresh faces to the area should do a lot to help continue to turn things around. There is no reason Provencher couldn't rival Osborne, its right over the bridge from the Forks and downtown and ball park, would be a great additional draw to the area.

North St. B is need of some better amenities. It should be an area known to embrace the 'Old French' regions it claims to be, cheese shops, butcher, produce shops, service shops like a bike shop.

I'm very interested to see what happens with the Parmalat factory, now that Parmalat has bought a large lot in the St. B Industrial park. Haven't heard anything yet, but that would really open up a huge area for development. It's a third of an entire block. Would be a great spot for some mixed use development.
nice post. I fear the Parmalat plant might have some site remediation costs associated with its redevelopment. Not sure. If so that could delay things. And don't forget the empty fenced lot on the west side of the street. That condo banner has been flapping around for a couple years now, so who knows what is going on with that proposal.

I agree with you about the lack of amenities in the area. I think the age of the population in the area is not helping. For example I frequently go to the local restaurants and shops in the area. I never see any of my senior citizen neighbours there. Ever.I have actually tried laying the guilt on some of them when they whine about the empty spaces on Provencher

It is helpful indeed to have some new blood in the north with a few bucks to spend. The last thing I am worried about is gentrification!