View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Who else would appreciate a little more on-campus diversity in food options at the University of Manitoba?

Given that we're about to become home to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, AND we're a campus of some 20,000 students, staff faculty, etc on a given day... is it possible to get some more on-campus food options?

I hate Aramark, plain and simple, black and white.

Why does the University of Calgary get a "food court" and we get Aramark CRAP, and Aramark-run Subway and Tim Hortons, that run minimal staff, and have very limited summer hours? Why must we continue to live under their creedo of "Our efficencies gained through making you wait."

Please comment, agree, disagree, yell, whine, ponder; I don't care:
Discuss.
Talk to your elected UMSU reps about getting rid of Aramark. The University sells Aramark a monopoly on food sales on campus. They ofcourse pass on the cost they pay for that monopoly onto their consumers which are mostly students. I graduated a few years ago but I'm assuming the deal with Pepsi is still intact? Same idea there. Pepsi pays the university for exclusive rights, they regain that money they spend and then some by operating a monopoly on campus.

So yes the university is gaining money from selling these exclusive rights but that money that gain is just being indirectly paid by consumers (students and staff) paying monopolistic prices.