View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
in chicago (and perhaps elsewhere), elevators are not required for small multi-family residential buildings like 3-flats and 6-flats. so no cost impact there.

parking also isn't an issue in chicago because every block in the city is bisected by an alley, and 3 parking spots off the alley in back of a 3-flat fit just fine. it's a zero cost issue here.

unlike most places, chicago still builds a lot of 3-6 unit "flat" buildings because they are the definitive legacy urban housing typology of the city.
Ah, good points. I didn't realize the smaller apartment buildings don't require them. I know SFH and rowhomes don't. And those can easily have ramps and such to ensure they're accessible, much like what happens now. I'm thinking even small scale apartments that have maybe 5-15 units, which may require an elevator, could secure cost savings elsewhere, too.

Chicago still building the 3-flats reminds me of Montreal still building its triplexes. For example, these were built just in the past couple years. It was also the dominant typology of the city even well into the 1950s.