View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 2:00 AM
Tiger

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
C-train is better then BRT in Ottawa. By a long shot. Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and Halifax have all recently, and still continue to build freeways...
Well, the C-Train is better than what Edmonton offers, much more extensive. But having lived in both Ottawa/Calgary, and using both systems, Ottawa wins. Just as fast as LRT, more frequent service. Although it is more costly to operate. I believe Ottawa transit ridership is actually higher than Calgary's, even with 200000 fewer people. So, the attitude of nobody wanting to ride a bus applies largely to the southern US. Efficient/frequent/accessible service is the key.

As for the freeways, Vancouver is doing it as part of the Gateway initiative, whether these new perimeter roads constitute true grade separated freeways, I don't know. And Toronto, I find it hard to believe with their growth management strategy/Move Ontario program that there are freeways being built. Improvements to existing roads maybe, they have trouble maintaining their transit system.

Bottom line, Winnipeg is fine without freeways, better traffic signal technology would help, some 'point' improvements would help and the Perimeter should be grade separated for efficiency and safety purposes. The absence of an Ottawa transitway or LRT is the crying shame.