View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 9:29 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
The Broadway Marianos works as a free parking garage for the neighborhood at least. It's very hard to find parking in that area, but Marianos has a giant garage and you can basically park there till 10pm for free, and no one cares. Just walk downstairs through the store and out the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
so suburban^
Suburban, yet very true. Lakeview East has nearly zero available parking, either free or paid. While many of us think that's great, it does keep a good number of people away from patronizing the numerous shops and restaurants in the area, specifically along Broadway/Clark. I'd actually be fine with that garage being paid with say a 90 minute validation for Mariano's/other establishments. I kind of feel the same about the Treasure Island project proposed at Broadway/Cornelia. Parking in that area is so scarce already that I have no issues with a paid-parking garage situation, as long as the garage is well-disguised at street level.

Even the most urban environments need SOME available parking, otherwise those environments will never be able to cater to anyone but locals/city residents who can transit in. Again, not saying there should be surface lots everywhere, that's just disgusting. But garages can be well-designed and well-integrated into the fabric of the neighborhood.

Aaron (Glowrock)