View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:45 PM

carbon tax discusions

Some use less some use more, I was suggesting 80L a week would represent an average for a two person household. I bet you a contractor would use a lot more than that, or a person commuting from farther away, or a two vehicle household.

The theory of a carbon tax might be sensible, but it is not a good policy for this country at this time. Canada is probably the least efficient developed country, it certainly is the coldest, unless you include Russia. Yes, I guess I'm selfish, I do want a strong national economy and high living standards for the Canadian people. The country can become more efficient without a carbon tax. Plus the worst polluters are subject to the tax on only a small portion of their emissions. Why are a Canadian cities still sprawling? Why are we sustaining a rate of population increase that is not only economically unsustainable but results in increased emissions? I don't want Canada to go down the same path in the 21st century that Argentina did in the 20th, that is going from one of the world's ten wealthiest economies per capita a century ago to 64th today. We're already slipping further and further behind the U.S. which is deeply concerning.