View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Xyroadia View Post
I do apologize, but that is part of the reason why I have the title, Architecture Curmudgeon

This is New York City we are talking about. Where Brick stone and Art Deco are King. As far as this Curmudgeon is concerned, those are the only type of buildings that should grace the isle of Manhattan.

Now then, I will recant that many on the list are not "Ugly" per say. And indeed not boxy like many of the monstrosities built during the 60's and 70's. But nor do they "Fit" in with the historical richness of NYC. Perhaps in some of the more modern cities of Europe or Asia perhaps? I could see them fitting in Hong Kong or Singapore quite well.

But NYC? Home of 30wall street? Of the Chrysler Building? Of The ESB? This Curmudgeon thinks not. As far as I am concerned, the envisioned "30 Park Place" is the only one on that list that I am indeed wishing to see come to light.
OK, I feel your pain. Me too, I am dreaming of a new Art Deco supertall which can only improve the skyline.
The thing is such towers won't be built because today's developers are cheap bastards who only care about profit. For them, ornamentation is a waste of money.