View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:38 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Maybe they're taking population/traffic into account and know that at the beginning traffic won't be too bad but as it does get worse they can easily turn a few of those parking lots into garages.
I guess this is the point that oldmanshirt was sort of making...

If it is truly New Urbanism (and not half-hearted VMU), then there should actually be much less parking, as the community would be designed to be supported by walking residents, not commuters driving in to shop.

Garages would be better than surface....

But I wonder if the Windcrest zoning allows them to "underbuild" parking or if there are a minimum number of spaces per sq ft as per usual municipal rules?

Sometimes, our regulations undermine our hopes for density. Most places require "sufficient" parking for new retail so that the resulting parking/traffic doesn't become a mess (and become the city's problem to deal with).

If regulations force minimum parking (which I would suspect), then a garage would be a must to promote needed density. Otherwise, this will just end up being typical suburban development that does a better job at hiding parking lots.

Curmedgeonly Hopeful.