View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
Instead of throwing money in useless and inefective policies (budget participatif, "greening the street") and having an over staffed administrative city hall. This money could be use to improve transit in suburbs. It could be use to improve the elementary and middle schools in the poorer areas.
You understand, of course, that these are subjective opinions. I’m sure many residents of central Paris care more about improving streetscapes in the arrondissements than about suburban transit or schools. And they probably don’t want their taxes redirected toward those things.

As an outsider, but frequent visitor, I wouldn’t want to see that wealth redistributed to the detriment of central Paris (which is a cultural treasure of humanity) either.

With respect to your New York example - the merger of New York and Brooklyn made lots of sense once their was a bridge, but many New Yorkers would be happy to be rid of Staten Island. And many in Staten Island feel the same way.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov