View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
As you can see from this, and some of the other photos, le Marais was pretty rough in 1984.
Incredible. Le Marais is high-end and ultra bourgeois nowadays. It is some kind of trendy spot for fashion and related lifestyle. For instance, that's where some Scandinavian luxury fashion houses would settle down.
When I was younger, it also was known as a shelter for the local gay community, but since homophobia has significantly decreased in society, they no longer need any particular district to hide.

I was born on Oct. 27 of 1977 and always lived here, so I've actually known the Paris you're showing in your pictures. But when you're only a little kid, you don't look at things the same way as adults do and I've completely forgotten how gritty the city was back then. These pictures look like it was completely refurbished since then.

When you come back, you'll probably have a hard time recognizing the things you've known by that time. Even the eastern arrondissements are massively gentrifying these days, so grit has gradually disappeared. There's nothing affordable left either. Everywhere in the central city is pretty expensive, hence the need for subsidized housing to maintain a bit of social diversity.