View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 8:15 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Yeah, I agree with you, Kevin. Though I would argue that there is momentum (albeit slow) throughout the Texas metros to seek greater density/walkability in developments outside of the cores. This obviously doesn't apply to all of them - or even possibly the majority of them - but it seems to me that there are more than before. This is especially true in DFW and Houston outside of CBDs. We'll never completely get rid of sprawl, but we can improve what's happening in a lot of areas. This, given the environmental sensitivity of the region, should be one of those areas, of course.
People are still really opposed to it, though. That photography page on Facebook, "Over Austin", had a nice aerial photo and some video over Mueller. I just glanced at the comments as I added mine, but one of them commented that it was "too dense". Someone else agreed. Mueller was a major let down. I sort of feel like if you're going to have single family homes that close together that you might as well at least have them be attached or just do an apartment or condo building instead. The thing that bugs me about those properties is that you still have a yard, which seems nice on the surface of it, but that means you still have yard work to do and a placed needed to store your lawn equipment, and with such a small yard it isn't practical. Unless you have the money to hire a lawn service company to come and do it for you, you're going to be stuck with a lawn mower, weed wacker, gas and other stuff to store somewhere, which will probably mean a storage shed that consumes space in what is already a small yard.