View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
What you won't see in Midtown from that view is nothing major. All of the larger towers, like 432 Park, Tower Verre, etc. will be visible. As will all of the development on the west side. But that will be just a fraction of the view from the wheel, and not the most important view. The magnificence of the harbor in its entirety will be spread out for all to see. The complex nature of New York will be visible, something you don't get in the canyons of Manhattan. Even the hotel and the Harbor Commons will have nice views over the harbor, as will the rooftop park. And even from the photo you posted, you can see how the skylines of Brooklyn, Jersey City, and Manhattan from the west side to Downtown will blend. They can't build this fast enough for me.
-
The harbor, the bridges, the skyline. I will even enjoy looking at the massive industrial area that wraps around the Kill Van Kull. There really is no perfect vantage point in which to see New York, but Staten Island's view is right up there with Weehawken + Rooftops near Newtown Creek. And you are correct about the other projects underway, One57 is very visible and very prominent even from ground level in St.George.

Staten Island has some rather tall hills, the tallest being only 200 feet shorter than the wheel. As the passengers go further up, they'll be curious to see what pops up South over Todt Hill. It will be interesting for people from afar to get an idea of the area surrounding the urban core of our "global capital". I imagine if I were born elsewhere, I'd be pleasantly surprised to see steep tree-lined streets with old Victorian homes so close to the urban core.