View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBob View Post
I don't think you understood what Michael is trying to say which is a much broader statement than a simple commentary on this particular development. Not all development is good development, even when it involves redeveloping an underutilized property. For example, not all uses are compatible with neighboring development and I agree with Michael that we need to exercise our right to protest a change when that happens.

In this case I think we can all agree that this proposal, if built, will be a very good thing for that corner and the argument against it is weak at best. Density in and near downtown is good, it's unlikely that this development will negatively impact its neighbors, and the use is very appropriate and compatible with nearby development.
Not only is not all development good development - I would say the vast majority is crap - drive 5 minutes out of the city core and then keep driving for the next 30-45 minutes in virtually any direction and you will know exactly what I mean. That's why stuff like this needs to be encouraged, celebrated and supported. The NIMBYs have an enormous voice in this city - disproportionate against all reason. Planners and council and decision makers of all kind need to constantly hear the other side - that the whiney speakers at city council and the obnoxious letters from CAVE people in the Statesman don't comprise the entire community.

And MichaelB is asking for more than a right to protest, he seems to be asking for us to be empathetic when none is earned. Neither I nor any poster have questioned his right to voice an opinion, here or elsewhere. And god only knows the NIMBYs in this town have amazing power to control and derail in very good development - as they quite often do.

Far too often we listen with the utmost concern to neighbors who think the world will come crashing in if some variance is granted. And it just is so rarely the case.

I don't stand up for bad development - never have, never will. If MichaelB is making a different point that what I believe he is, he picked a strange thread to do it in.

This project is good - it replaces bad - it should go forward - we need this to happen over and over and over if we are going to develop into the city that it has the potential to be.