View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:38 AM

I own a detached row house in Cincinnati built in 1914. The house sits on a 25x90 block between two narrow appartment buildings. The house itself is 20x35 feet, with 60" between it and the buildings to either side. It has several full-size windows on the sides, facing the pair of alleys, which let some light in and noise from the commotion that happens in the neighboring apartment buildings.

I am friends with two people who own true row homes nearby in the same strip. One owns 323 and the other 327, so there is one house between them. The houses are 15 feet wide, meaning the interiors are about 13.5 feet wide. There are no side windows, obviously, but it actually makes the rooms more usable since you have more options with furniture arrangements. It also keeps alley noise out since there aren't any alleys.

The big disadvantage of a true row house is that you need to bring tools through the house to get to the back yard or courtyard. You often have to sit your garbage cans in front of your house, too, since there is no good place to store them during the week.

Here is a video of my house from 2013, on the day it was inspected, about a month before I moved in. The house had been vacant for at least a year prior during the recession. There were several other vacant houses on the block at the time, so parking wasn't a problem. Everything filled up by 2015 and now prices are accellerating and you can't park anywhere close most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQ3CCeYWX8