View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Go to the company’s website. It doesn’t really say anything. They have a News link and the page is empty.

Glassdoor says the company has less than a 1000 employees now, And their employees rate the company at just over 2 stars. It seems like they provide customer support as a third party (Verizon was mentioned in the reviews). It doesn’t sound like a great win, and I would be surprised if they get to that 1400 number. It almost feels like a con.

We’ll see; I guess it beats a Siracha plant?
So BPO is Business Process Outsourcing - which is essentially a call center. I interviewed for a management position with a different BPO provider a couple of years ago in SA. As you mentioned it basically allows large companies to outsource their basic customer service to be run by the BPO. Turnover is pretty high so some of these BPOs will hire contractors to man the call centers and not have to deal with all the paperwork that goes with that turnover. I have no doubt that they'll bring 1,400 jobs to the area, I just don't think they'll be full time OKIN jobs, but who knows. It's their US headquarters so you'd have to assume they'll have at least a few good, non-call center jobs there.

Either way, it's economic development and investment in an area of town that hasn't traditionally attracted large employers. I know it's not a brand name employer but it's still better than no jobs or development and it's something the city can point to in the future as showing it can attract international firms to the city. I admit I'm taking a "glass half full" approach, but I think it's overall a positive things for the city.