View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
The other Dominion locations I specifically remember were the Eaton-Dominion Mall (which became a Produce World, owned by Safeway, and is now Value Village)
I don't remember this, only read about it, but in the 1910's that area along Broad Street was given to the City of Regina by the Government of Canada as a recreational park & baseball field. In Regina's attempt to grow and compete with other prairie cities, they attracted Eaton's to come to Regina and open a major department store in the 1920's. They bowled over the baseball field and began work on building the Eaton's building (now the Value Village building) on that piece of land. The Gov't of Canada got word of this and sued the city of Regina for using recreational land gifted to them as commercial development land. The $100,000 the city received from the sale of the land (a ton in the 1920's!) to Eaton's all went to the Gov't of Canada by a court decision. Regina appealed the decision and won a portion of it back, but the courts mandated that the money be used to build more recreational parks in Regina.

haha. I love Regina history.