View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:48 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
Charleston and Savannah do belong in the same sentence (and often are), just not for the size of their cores. It's for the time period in which their cores developed, architecture, geography, historic significance, and their status as historic Southern ports of entry for slaves. Savannah and New Orleans both have artsy and creative flairs, eccentric personalities, and vibrant nightlife; while Charleston and New Orleans both have Caribbean-inspired architecture, distinct Black subcultures, and notable cuisines.
Fair enough, but I wasn't tapping into the historical or cultural aspects. I think there's a certain "cutesy" quality to both Charleston and Savannah's respective urban cores that make them feel more museum-like and self-contained, whereas New Orleans' core has a much more organic visual language. I can only imagine what it's like in person, and I think the best pedestrian experiences it offers are as unique and charming as any place in NYC, Philly, or Boston (referencing a discussion point in the "Phoenix downtown" thread).

β€” Jerome Bruner