View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoVerde View Post

4) lists a church at the Eastern base of Pound Cake Hill as the first Protestant Church in the city. I've seen photos of a small church at the base of the High School stairs but I wasn't able to find them now to post here -- I'll keep looking.
We took a good long look at that church quite awhile back - nearly a year ago. Look for several photos on pages 632-634, and lastly a couple of overlays that I made placing the church in the modern cityscape - my second attempt first appeared on page 636. Here it is again:

Quote:
Seriously, though, I'd like to know where the bodies ended-up. Any help is welcome.
According to findagrave.com,

Quote:
Many were relocated to Rosedale, with others removed to Evergreen Cemetery, Hollywood Cemetery, Calvary, and Rose Hills. Most of the removals were not documented, however, and the final resting place of many LA City Cemetery residents is unknown. A full burial list and complete history of the cemetery can be found the Southern California Genealogical Society website.
There is a burial list but it's not actually complete - the source is a recently-rediscovered burial register covering the years 1869-1888.

It is also noted at findagrave,
Quote:
In 2006, during construction of the Grand Avenue School, which was built on the site of the old Fort Moore Hill, archaeologists discovered a variety of artifacts, including empty caskets and partial or complete remains of approximately 80 people. After attempting to identify them based on notes, jewelry, etc., the remains were transferred to Angelus Rosedale Cemetery and reinterred.
It seems pretty likely to me that some bodies may still remain on Fort Moore Hill, just because they missed being dug up by construction. So far.