View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I agree all those destinations are much larger than Steinbach, the WHL is only interested in adding 2 new teams (one in the USA and one most likely in BC), to balance the divisions out.

Fort McMurray is too far north, and travel would be an issue. Lloydminster would only get a team in a franchise east of BC moved. I can see a team working in Grande Prairie (70,000), considering it is close to the BC border and would make a good rivalry with Prince George.

Chilliwack was given a team, but it failed and moved a decade ago. Vernon is too close to Kelowna. Vancouver, WA is too close to Portland, and a longshot. I can see Eugene or Salem working, as they are fairly close to Portland. The Pasco area already has a team (Tri-Cities Americans). Nanaimo may be a good bet, as the population in the city is 90,000, although I am unsure if they have a big enough arena.
Yeah, I'm not saying all of those places are sure-fire bets, just that there would be pretty stiff competition for a WHL team if the league decided to expand.

Steinbach's best hope for a WHL team is to have the Winnipeg ICE reach an impasse in Winnipeg where they can't get a new arena off the ground but can no longer make it work at the U of M. So in that case they do the Vancouver Giants/Toronto Rock thing where they decamp their home market for a smaller, more affordable one nearby. I don't think there's a chance that they would get a franchise in addition to a team in Winnipeg (a la Moose Jaw/Regina 45 minutes apart). Steinbach just isn't big enough yet.