View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oviatt Building Fan View Post
Yes, I was talking about the mid-Wilshire store's chandelier. The story I told comes from a 1970s interview with one of the Magnins involved. He readily conceded that the chandelier is a copy of Lalique's gargantuan one ... and he was very proud of the money he saved. Mr. Magnin also claimed in the interview that the chandelier was made by a local Southern Californian glassmaker in about three months; unfortunately, he didn't mention the glassmaker's name.

A few years ago, Lalique historian Nicholas Dawes confirmed to me that the chandelier's design is Lalique-inspired, to say the least.

The interview is described on page 201 of the book "Art Deco San Francisco: The Architecture of Timothy Pflueger", by Therese Poletti.
The ones in the Beverly Hills store were made by Lalique, but some of them mysteriously "disappeared" after the chain closed in the '90s. Saks recovered some of them. I represented Saks at the time and heard stories of how much trouble they went to to chase them down so they could be re-installed in the store after it was converted into an extension of the main Saks store on Wilshire in Beverly Hills.