View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 11:53 PM

Thumbs up THE BAY AREA | Projects from San Francisco's Surrounding 8 Counties

I thought it would be worthwhile to start a thread devoted to the projects happening around the San Francisco Bay Area. Rather than figure a run down, I thought I would share one of the significant developments proposed in Oakland and add on as the days go by. Please contribute any information you have regarding this region. Thank you.

Mandela/ Grand Mixed-Use Project:

From:http://www.oaklandnet.com/government...mixed_use.html

Project Description:

The project proposes the redevelopment of an underutilized industrial site for a new mixed use industrial village project on approximately 13.3 acres of land in West Oakland. The proposed project would contain approximately 300,702 square feet of predominantly custom industrial and light industrial uses and limited commercial and retail uses on the first two levels of the proposed buildings. High-density residential uses (1,577 units) are proposed above the ground floor industrial and commercial uses. There will be eight buildings containing residential units, include three 300-foot residential towers. The project would provide approximately 2,322 parking spaces in underground parking garages, above ground parking structures, and on surface lots.

Most of the existing structures on the site will be demolished (the American Steel Building and portions of the Pacific Pipe Building Complex) and eight new buildings will be constructed. The project would adaptively reuse the 47,000 square-foot original timber-frame structure of the Pacific Pipe Building.

The project would be developed in four phases over approximately 15 years: 2007 to 2022.

Planning permits required include an amendment to the General Plan Land Use and Transportation Element, both text and land use map; an amendment to the West Oakland Redevelopment Plan; a new zoning district and amendment to the zoning map; a preliminary development plan and final development plan; design review guidelines and approval; and a vesting tentative subdivision map and final map.

Article from http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AGBFOOTMM1.DTL