Thread: Metro Rankings
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Any city is exactly what you make of it. Many people in Atlanta do have long commutes, but many people don't. It's short-sighted to assume that we are all the same, all living in a giant suburb, and all unaware of sprawl. So what if Atlanta's metro stretches further than Detroit's? I don't ever see the suburbs and I don't have a huge commute, and there are many people here just like or similar to me. The population boom hasn't lowered my quality of life at all, and if someone chooses to commute an hour each way to work then that is their choice. Maybe they see it as a tradeoff for something else that they want, so their quality of life isn't diminished at all.
Well, I dismiss personal experience...unless you can prove to me that you are the microcosm for the area, your personal experience in meaningless to my point. Furthermore, I am not downing Atlanta at all. All I am saying is that comparing areas based upon commuting patterns leaves much to be desired. Hey, if you live in a place that gets crazy snow and ice in the winter....you don't want to be commuting 60 miles a day in the middle of winter! Just because a person is not willing or need to do that makes some part of metro areas and others not...while both are equal distance apart from the core cities. Cleveland, Akron and Canton should all be one area. Cinncinatti-Hamilton Dayton should be one area. There are a lot of areas with cities that have merged together that don't get counted as one large area because people don't cross commute at high rates to the other areas. Many don't need to as they move to the city where there job is.