View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 4:40 PM
Bears of antiquity

I think part of River North will be affordable, just given the modelling they're doing. Using the examples of the Pearl District and the up-and-coming South Lake Union areas of Portland and Seattle, respectively, I'd say they'll throw in a mix. They've been following the examples and suggestions from the developers of those areas very closely.

However, I need to point out that this cart usually precedes the horse as it did with Portland's downtown redevelopment. They had every intention of getting to DT first and branching out to the Pearl District area, but it didn't go that way. The Pearl District came first and has lead to growth in the downtown Portland core.

Developers like a clean-slate, so I'd expect a lot of crawling until a rough build-out of River North and the inner eastside. The west end of DT and the inner westside may start out prior to a DT renaissance, but I wouldn't think those would go too quickly unless rail came through pretty quickly.

Downtown SA is crawling, but give it 5-10 years and it'll suddenly boom to keep pace with other inner areas.