View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What is the appeal of Monte Carlo? Bad food, ugly condos, everything overpriced, and overrun with third world gangsters.

French/Italian Riveria are great, but the only appeal of Monaco is tax avoidance (IMO). Aix, Antibes, Avignon are more my speed.
Agreed. I think people have a very Hollywood-skewed perception of places like Monaco, Dubai, etc. Was there for a day ~5 years ago and saw pretty much everything of note in a <500 acre country and no real desire to go back anytime soon. Even if it is about the glitzy lifestyle, if I was ultra-rich I'd rather be in Nice for 90% of the time and go over on a day trip for the Grand Prix.

As for the original question, depends if were talking about a hypothetical never-need-to-work-again scenario or not.

For a combination of career and the city itself? New York, London, Munich, maybe Melbourne (never been but the analogues to Toronto are obvious)

If I was retiring right now? Portugal and Spain have been my favourite recent destinations. I feel like I could be pretty happy between some combination of the small towns of the Iberian peninsula with Porto, Lisbon, Madrid, and Barcelona mixed in. The food and wine are nice bonuses.