View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:27 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Don't let the squares ride you wrong. (Nobody pays $7 for beer, $6 for an import maybe... but sheesh man, you gotta go to the Hotel Fort Garry for those prices! I've never heard the Village described as ritzy. Hipsters and grandma's live side by side. Its a great place.)

For what its worth, I've also never owned a car while living in Winnipeg. Its not necessary.

Osborne & Corydon are indeed the places you want to be. Anywhere between Lilac/Stafford and Donald will provide about as urban a neighbourhood as this city can offer. The closer to Osborne or Corydon you are, the more life there is. There are lots of nightlife, grocery, transit and lifestyle options throughout those 'hoods. From pubs to wine bars and martinis, local clothing shops, walkable, great tree canopy, great restaurants.

The Exchange District would be ideal, but its not heavily populated yet and thus the ability to walk across the street for milk isn't possible. Its our Williamsburgh, but the critical mass isn't totally there yet. There aren't many rental options there right now either. If you can find a spot from afar, awesome. And given what you're used to paying in rent in NYC, The Exchange is probably easily within your budget.

Depending on what kind of pad you want, a liveable 1 bedroom apt in Corydon/Osborne will run you $550-$800 cdn/mo.

Other 'hoods mentioned:
Wolseley: more difficult from a transit perspective, unless you're close to Maryland Street where the 36 University Super Express will do a good job of getting you to the U of M quickly. Its a beautiful, alternative 'hood with good people, nice homes/apts, organic groceries, etc. But its also sleepy and a bit boring.

South Pembina If you live anywhere close to the University you will be surrounded by suburban banality, fast food joints, and shitty bars with shitty music (and the accompanying clientele). Pembina Highway is a bit of a wasteland that you'll have to travel en route to the U of M. I wouldn't live there if you paid me.