View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 7:15 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35 View Post
Your argument makes zero sense. First of all, I don't care how small you think the chances are. The fact of the matter is there are home invasions every single day and thousands of people are the victims of home invasions, with many of those being armed intruders every year. Are you likely to be a victim of that? Statistics say no. But then again, every single person who IS the victim of it had the same chance of being a victim as you did.
Thank you for the inane tautology. Your argument is tantamount to assuming that I should be afraid of and take precautions against every possible event, no matter how unlikely. Like most Americans, I'm much more imperiled by my diet than some spooky home invader.

How many people are randomly murdered in home invasions (excluding people who attempt to fight the intruder or intruders shot by police or residents?) I can find maybe... a few examples on the internet in the last 20 years (which seem likely promulgated by the NRA in order to ins instill fear, so if there were more, they would be easy to find). Meanwhile hundreds die every year from firearm accidents. I'm much more likely to be randomly hot on the street by a police office or caught in some crossfire than by someone in a home invasion. I also live in a high-rise with a concierge, which makes armed home invasions even more likely than they might ordinarily be.

Quote:
Your second statement is even worse. So your argument is that someone who is mentally ill could use the gun to harm themselves so no one should have guns? Well then you better get rid of every weapon in that house that could do the job. Do away with all the knives, scissors, hammers, ropes in the garage and any other thing that someone could potentially use to kill themselves. If someone is determined enough to harm themselves they will find a way, whether there is a gun in the mix or not.

I just can't understand people with your logic. If you want to be a sheep and be at the mercy of a criminal and even worse, let your family be at the mercy of that criminal then go right ahead. But don't try to drag every other American down with you.
Yes, it is much easier for someone to kill themselves with a gun than by other means. A gun is literally made for killing people so its efficacy is no surprise. Most people with suicidality have transient impulses which are not amenable to methods of suicide that take planning, significant effort, or may not be fully effective. Trust me, I have more personal experience with this than I care to share. Or you can trust the many studies that have demonstrated this. Of course not having a gun won't prevent all suicides, but the reduction in potential harm is much greater than the reduction in potential harm from the hypothetical fairy-tale home intruder who wants to murder me for no particular reason.

I can imagine cases where a gun might improve your safety, like if you are involved in criminal activity, have a stalker, or might run into a polar bear in your backyard. But those certainly don't apply to my household...