View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
I was at the opening of the first SBUX Reserve in Shanghai. It was a total gimmicky retail experience then and I'm sure two years later it's even worse. The interior design was top notch. The offerings went well beyond what a typical Starbucks offers. The production floor and educational vignettes were cool, you could point your phone at things and it would explain the process. At the end of the day however I was completely aware I was in a giant retail commercial, like a rain forest cafe for adults, and the whole thing stank of a misguided attempt to stay relevant in fading consumerist era we are moving away from not towards. It seemed far more relevant in China than the States. Maybe I'm just getting old and a bit of a curmudgeon but at the end of the day who wants to drink coffee with a thousand tourists? It's the antithesis of coffee culture. These food halls on the other hand are very European in concept and I think going to be ultimately successful. This could have made a great food hall / market.
If they had plopped this thing in the West Loop I might be inclined to agree with some of this criticism but they didn't. It's on Michigan where a gimmicky retail experience is more appropriate IMO. I have only been to the NYC Roastery so far (will go to Chicago's when I'm back next week) but I have to agree with the comparison to Eataly based on what I've seen. The products were quality and the store design itself was top damn notch. My not easily impressed husband was along who has been deep in the retail world with a higher end company for many years was blown away by the design.