View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I know this will get a lot of heat, but... As of January 20, 2017, we are certainly not welcoming them with open arms. The current administration has done almost all that it can to decimate the highly skilled worker visa program. I'm actually eavesdropping on a conversation happening right next to me now, where one of the women is having issues finding a company that will sponsor her H1b. She's going to have an extremely hard time finding an employer compared to two years ago.

I've been involved will hiring highly skilled workers for the past 6 or 7 years. Many of the largest H1b sponsors from just two years ago have stopped sponsoring altogether.

While there were companies abusing the H1b program, it was largely not being abused by companies with significant business operations in the U.S. And I doubt the hostility by the Trump admin is actually doing anything to address how those companies were abusing the program. It's even possible that the actions by the Trump admin are even creating an environment for those companies to exploit the program even more.
Yeah but I've also heard from people in tech up in the Bay that the H1B program allows their company to pay people less than they would say, a recent college grad or someone out there looking for work. Some have been able to hire two H1Bs for the price of one full salaries individual. The thing about H1B is it was being abused by companies. It's like paying an illegal immigrant under the table because you don't want to pay the full minimum wage. Or an organization/company hiring a bunch temporary workers and when their assignments end they add another, and just because they don't want to pay someone's full-time salary + benefits. It was becoming a problem and the current temp worker thing is an underlying big problem I've been seeing.

Surely there were people within this country already who were able to do the job right? Since you did some hiring you would definitely have a better idea there.