View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post

I guess because on the city website community profiles section that entire area is lumped together as River Heights.

https://winnipeg.ca/census/2011/Community%20Area/

I wonder if before amalgamation that area would've been widely referred to as the South End (just as the North End was and is still called the North End).
When they were referred together as the portion of the city south of the Assiniboine, yes they were called the South End. But most of the time they were treated as completely separate and distinct areas .

Funny thing though is I don't think there ever was or is a generally accepted boundary between the two areas. Some people considered it to be Stafford while others thought it was Cambridge, certainly north of Grosvenor Crescentwood extends to Cambridge and that's where the lot lines change direction (what street is the Parish line between St. Boniface and St. Charles?, I can't see it being Cambridge as the entire South End except the lots between Kenaston and Edgeland was annexed into Winnipeg in 1882). I grew up thinking it was Harrow for some reason and I think most people think of Grant Park as in River Heights. Fascinating that a shanty town, Rooster Town, once existed in the Grant Park area. Its destruction and the forced relocation of its residents is a shameful part of Winnipeg's history.