View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Wasn't the person leasing the hote, Potenza, of Potenza pizza fame? I also heard he (or someone else) held the lease on boardwalk consessions. A couple of years ago there was a dispute and the consessions remained closed. Like...can you imagine that happening at any US beach tourist attraction?

Im not sure the property owners in Grand Marais would care much about the Surf Club as its quite far. I believe it was the Grand Beach cottagers that had the issue. They also forced Potenza to close his patio early I believe (the pizza joint is in Grand Marais but right along the border of the park). Anyone who remembers Grand Marais and Grand Beach from a few years ago where there was activity an d hustle and bustle til 2 am all weekend is likely disheartened to see it now. Its had a resurchence in cottage goers in the sense there is more people there now (seems like the old timers died off and their "kids" are now taking over) with a lot of renos and new builds. But its a sleepy town and not the resort town it could/should be.

Sorry, off topic.
From what I understand, yes it is the same person.

I remember going to Grand Beach quite a bit in the 90s and early 2000s and the Surf Club was a pretty happening place mostly on the weekends of course. That in spite of the fact the place was shithole along with the hotel.

I believe the NDP government responded to pressure from the locals and forced the leaser out even though he has spent some money on improvements to the Surf Club.