View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:46 PM

Revised LUAR

[QUOTE=Townie709;5995972]Finally, the meeting has been announced. At least we know the developer likes the first design and the renders provided are not the final design. I hope to see this approved quickly! Even though this hotel probably won't turn out to be something overly attractive or unique, it is in a great filler location that gives the illusion of a much denser west end from our most photographed angles.

I love the possibility of a residential highrise building! That would be the first downtown! (besides the rumoured "23" residential building) I hope it would be taller than the hotel. That opens up another possibility in the not-so-near future for more highrise development in the west end! Great to hear

Onward and upward![/QUOTE

Despite what the developer says, I have a feeling that this is the design they are going with. They go to great lengths in the revised LUAR to explain the reasoning for the blank wall on the back, (appeasing privancy concerns of nearby residents), materials used and the squat look of the new design (appease the heritage crowd by making the building look shorter and have some features that supposedly connect it with the heritage look of the city). If they get approval now do you think they could get away with going back and redesigning it again? Or would they want to? (although this may have been done in the Steele Hotel case). The more I look at this new design the less I like it, for this location. It looks like something I would see on my way to Pearson Airport in Toronto. Although the previous design was fairly non-descript, it at least had some look and feel of a building suited to that end of downtown.