View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:52 AM

NFL in San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by discojames View Post
I really like the look and location of the Alamodome and would hate to see it replaced by a new stadium since it is less than 15 years old. Does it have the interior space that with the right amount of money it can be brought to NFL standards by adding the requisite number of suites, club seating, upgraded video and sound, and possibly additional seating bringing capacity closer to 70,000? San Antonio is already top tier for Men's and Women's Final Four NCAA basketball so I could see it easily becoming a premier Super Bowl city should a team ever relocate or a franchise is awarded to the city. I would love to see the ESPN Sportscenter team reporting from the Arneson River Theater during Super Bowl week.
I agree that sounds pretty nice. But first things first we must land an NFL team. Along those lines I believe it is inevitable that San Antonio will get a team by or before 2012. Whether it's by expansion or relocation remains the only question. As you mentioned the Alamodome can easily be refurbished to today's modern NFL standards and with the shear size of the metro area filling up the Dome eight or ten times a season would be no problem. The most important thing going in our favor now is that there is a new commissioner. Tagliabue was dead set against San Antonio getting a team under any circumstances. Goodell seems much more amenable to the idea of locating a team here. What bugs me is why has it taken so long for San Antonio to be considered a prime candidate for a team? I guess I answered my own question. Tagliabue.