View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 12:02 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckh View Post
Are there any other neighborhoods in Ithaca that had or have a similar set up that Collegetown once had? I know that there are neighborhoods north and south of Downtown that are close to such services either in Downtown or along Elmira Road on the South Side, but I wasn't sure if there were others.
I don't think the other neighborhoods had the same concentration of people or the amount of businesses/services as Collegetown (outside of the downtown area). There are some much smaller commercial sections in the city. Of course the Meadow Street-Elmira Road corridor is full of commercial options, but not really much in the way of residential. The Northern Belle Sherman neighborhood does share a border with Collegetown and has access to all the commercial that go with that. But the year-round residents of Belle Sherman have often fought any expansion of Collegetown into their environs. The Lower East Hill neighborhood is located in several blocks between downtown and Collegetown, and is somewhat overshadowed by both.
I feel a bit out of my element trying to answer this because I haven't lived in Ithaca in over 30 years though I do try to get back for visits as often as I can. Perhaps a current resident or more frequent visitor could fill in the blanks.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare