View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2009, 3:11 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
I've always believed that a North-Central LRT route must use Centre Street for the majority of its route. Ending the SE Line at Eau Claire makes a connection to a N-C LRT a no-brainer. I don't believe that 200 homes/businesses would be required for a cut-and-cover/TBM route though. A "Canada Line"-type of construction could be better suited than our conventional at-grade LRT construction that does consume a lot of property. I've also dumped a formal connection to the Airport. As much as you guys and myself would love an Airport LRT connection, I don't see it happening, even in the 15-20 year future. I've left it open though.
Would an airport LRT connection off the end of such an alignment be appropriate anyway? I can't help but think that a Nose Creek alignment off the NE Line would be better for an airport connection for precisely the same reasons that moving to the Centre Street alignment is better for heading north - few other traffic generators in Nose Creek. The current West LRT could itself have a spur down to Mount Royal College to balance the corridors.

Looking at a map trying to figure out how to serve it with transit, it becomes clear that Calgary's airport terminal sure is badly placed. It's on the "wrong" side of the runways away from downtown and even from the Deerfoot it's a long way around to get there. Who's responsible for this state of affairs? Let me guess... the federal government?