View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 9:18 PM

Somewhat of a misleading article.

They released a survey to gauge business interest in Europe, so they don't have results yet and he states, “We already have a European market demand.” Any mid-size airport can say that. No where in the article (except the title) says high demand to Europe.

I don't believe there are enough passengers flying to Europe to make a nonstop viable. AUS has KLM, BA, LH, and DY. There is more competition and lower airfares so leisure travelers, often price sensitive, can find incredible deals to Europe out of AUS this summer. Doing a dummy booking in July to London, SAT cost $1400, while AUS $400.

The article mentions London and Frankfurt as the top 2 choices. British Airways and Lufthansa would be the only airlines willing to fly to each respectively, and there's no way they would risk opening up a new station and cannibalizing their AUS routes to try and test SAT. San Antonio would have to grow substantially in business travel to Europe before an airline would test the market. He says summer 2022, I'd be surprised if we saw anything before 2030.

Granted I'd love to see SAT have Europe, but with AUS so close, they should look at South America or Central America (routes AUS does not have).