View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
San Antonio is very light on residential downtown. There have been some major additions in the last couple of years, and others to come...

But I don't like the idea of pushing for residential in the "defacto" tourism sector of downtown. I don't think that tourist areas should have much residential. For one, businesses that are attracted to tourist areas don't necessarily translate to local residents.

I like the idea of a segregated downtown. I like the direction the Planning has set in place for growth.

Touist District: This is obviously very strong and always getting stronger. It is nice to visit every once in a while, but not a daily destination for locals.

Residential Districts: There are several that are developing in Downtown SA, with River North hopefully developing into a true urban neighborhood. I don't have the ability to live downtown at this point in my life, but I know that there are a lot draw to urban living that a lot of San Antonians haven't had the opportunity to experience. I guess this is the if you build it "right", they will come scenario.

CBD: I don't think there would be much arguement with me stating that SA's CBD is very week. Along with residential this is the district that I would like to see grow in SA.

Public Service/Government District: This is another strong and growing district in downtown SA. With the new courthouse coming in 4-6 years, the COSA Public Safety HQ coming in 2-3, and the new BC building topped out with occupancy coming in the forseeable future, this district is only going to be more built out.

These are just some examples of the type of segregation that I am talking about.

It appears that this is what the city planners are trying to do, does anyone disagree with this? I am interested in hearing how others envision downtown.
River North, Govt dist are downtown. So is the Alamodome, UTSA downtown campus and the pearl. I would say districts of downtown. I wouldn't break them up and say they are not downtown.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.