View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
But this is not a side street such as West 73rd through West 78th, West 80th through West 85th, West 87th through West 95th, etc. It's a larger intersection with the potential to be like West 79th and Amsterdam which has a lot of retail below its residential. You guys can make all the arguments you want in favor of ground level lack of retail... that's your choice. But once buildings are built like that, there's no going back and adding the retail. Glad my 18 years in New York City and 7 in Boston could provide the experience that allows me to be part of the entertainment for you. If this forum were boring you wouldn't want to visit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4278...7i13312!8i6656
You're missing a huge economic component though, which is demand. When demand rises, renovating bottom floor residential units into retail is possible. I too have live(d) in a very densely populated neighborhood(Berlin) with a very high volume of foot traffic and yes, retail on the ground floor. But the fact is, as of the last couple years, physical retail has been slowing dying. I've seen a countless number of physical stores close and those locations turned into residential units. The thing is, eCommerce is the growing trend and I don't see it slowing down yet the opposite. Restaurants and bars are different though.