View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 2:20 AM

Thanks for the link Architype. I don't attend a lot of conferences these days, but there was a time in the 90's when I was attending a couple of large conferences a year throughout North America. I found most convention centres of that vintage to be functional but from a design point of view, bland and yes uninspired (New Orleans and pre-expansion Denver come to mind).

Modern convention centre design appears to be an opportunity to showcase a city, make a statement so to speak. And our convention centre (phases 1 and 2) has certainly missed the mark in that respect. Begs the question though... while we (rightly) complain, what sort of design would have best suited our city and that location? (arguably the best location for development in the city, centred between mile one, hotels, office towers, george street, the waterfront, etc) Something ultra modern and avant garde, something with lots of glass and sweeping lines like so many out there, or something more traditional? I initially scoffed at PoscStudent's suggestion of the Rooms (which may have been suggested merely to rankle SHH.. ), but something similarly themed (i.e. a modern expression of traditional Nfld architecture) would certainly have been uniquely St. John's.