View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Again, I think you are missing the point. First, the discussion is moot because the Bombers are doing this for the very reason that they want to increase usage at IGF. Second, at this level of soccer they will be aiming at attracting 5-6000 fans max. Third, soccer tends to attract more rabid fans than hockey for sure and even football. They already have a supporters group started which really adds to game day experience. The league is also smart in negotiating that the CPL teams will also have a competition with the MLS teams.
They didn't negotiate anything – this is a Tier 1 FIFA league in Canada meaning that any of the teams in that category (either the 3 MLS clubs or any CanPL clubs) are eligible to vie for the Canadian Championship. There's no guarantee that there will be any inter-league play outside of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
You bring up a good point about Bisons football. I've often wondered why college football is so big in the U.S. whereas in Canada hardly anyone seems to give a crap by comparison. The college teams down south draw NFL sized crowds but north of the border it's totally the opposite. You could shoot a cannon at a Bisons game without hitting anyone (slight exaggeration intended). I know the CFL isn't as big in Canada as the NFL is in the U.S. but I still can't figure out why there is such a huge discrepancy in support for our college (and university) teams compared to theirs.
There's just way more money in the states from all aspects. Way too deep to get into, but it all starts with private colleges...