View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 10:15 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
It definitely looks nice but I wonder if the enclosed aspect of the park will pull people away from downtown and keep people funneled to this area only. In other words it could have the same impact as the River Walk. The River Walk is beautiful but it pulls people away from street level and keeps them on river level. I fear enclosing this Civic Park space too much is going to keep people off of Downtown streets and keep them enclosed in this general area. The renderings make it seem disjointed from the rest of downtown as if almost to serve as an escape from downtown. Again, I'm thankful for the new development and investment but I hope this space and downtown feel cohesive.
I hear you, necropolis. Looks like priority has shifted from making this park open and accessible to making it profitable, which I totally get. I've said before that this is prime real estate, and the city should explore ways of maximizing profitability on that space. And since the park will be enclosed, I think the park's focus will be shaped to serve the needs of park's new tenants, and offer a great new option for outdoor convention space. IMO It's a very smart idea. I'm more confident that we'll get a cohesive feeling when the new streets are completed and physically connect to the downtown grid.