View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWNTWN View Post
And look in the background at the sad state of affairs for "Hanover Checkers". What on earth is the hold up with that project? They might finish their Buckhead tower before they finish this.
I think they chose underground parking on a site that wasn't particularly well suited for it. Most sites are planned the grades work in favor of the garage; on this one they work against the garage as they kept retail on the lower (10th St) elevation, meaning the garage had to go extra deep. Contrast this with Symphony Tower, which has the garage entrance at the lowest exterior face of the building. The excavation then seemed to be a slow, expensive process slammed up against high walls on all sides, in contrast with something like the Spring and 16th development. Each of very very many truckloads of export fill had to be loaded in a tedious way.

The building broke ground roughly at the same time as Atlantic House, as I recall, which is a massive skyscraper and taking move-ins soon.

disclaimer: I don't have any inside info on this project, these are just my casual observations as someone who works as a construction project manager.