View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 6:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacednewfie View Post
I am a firm believer for a city to truly work there has to be a diverse assortment of housing options available on the market. Right now for example here in St. John's there are 2 types of living Heritage versus North American cookie cutter homes.

Now don't get me wrong there is absolutely nothing wrong with Heritage Homes for those that prefer them or likewise there is nothing wrong with the cookie cutter homes for those that like them as well.

But for those like myself and others here on this forum who would prefer condo living there are not a lot of options in the marketplace here today. Sure there are a few condo buildings here, but the location of those buildings are not really ideal. This goes back to what I was saying in my other post.....developments have to be functional. I'd be willing to bet my next pay cheque that there would not be such a ruckus over a development in the downtown area IF the developer had street level services such as a supermarket or drugstore. Then again I could also be dreaming.
Well the location issue is why I don't support condo's in st johns.

I prefer them myself, however there doesn't seem to be anywhere where it actually makes sense.

You need a backdrop of medium density to work.

as a condo in the burbs is dam stupid.

Anyways I actually do see a huge problem with low density housing.

It's more expensive to service, creates more traffic, wastes valuable land etc.

It quite literally the low hanging fruit of land usage.

Either blow 100 acres at half the cost, for the rest of time.

Or use 25 acres at twice the cost, and have something that will make returns to your city for generations.

I understand that suburbs were built during a post war boom, where people couldn't afford to wait for more solid growth, but this is the future and we shouldn't tolerate such crap.