View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 5:27 PM
Adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHapp View Post
Eh, "copying" SSC shouldn't be too much of a problem. Other forums got over it.

@Mark: what Trondheimer and Freki are saying is true: the Europe section continues to be confined and restrained. Other parts of SSP have been accorded countless subsections while "Europe" is still lumped and dumped together in one main part and a single subsection called General Discussion, a rather broad and vague term, making for one Projects and one Photos section. By contrast, SSP sports a "Dessert places in Vancouver" or whatever subsection. Little wonder Europeans don't quite feel at home here!

Think of the many countries and languages and cultures and traditions that make up Europe! It may not be as large in area as the US and Canada, but in variety of places and spaces, in contrasts between north and south and east and west, in fame of major capitals and other significant cities, both boom towns and more traditional ones, it does not lag behind North America in any way. Height might not quite keep up with the Supertalls around the world, but Europe sports countless outstanding examples, especially from an architectural point of view. True, SSP is in English and therefore linguistically accessible to the European forumers. But do they necessarily all care what's going on in Chicago? I don't think you can expect it of them.

English, the forum language, is also the only language in which Europeans can communicate among each other, so that's not the problem. But you gents might consider expanding the Europe section for easier navigation, giving the European forumers a place where they might feel more welcome and at home. Thanks! Their ranks might increase as a result of this; I don't think you'd have much trouble getting your required "10-15 locals" together.

Right, guys?
Yes! I know i would be much more active here with some more European subsections with one for my region. That would probably mean i would be more active in the main forums as well posting stuff about what i know, which isn't about Dallas or Chicago etc.

I could just post it in the European section, but then i come from a small country, where projects and cities is small compared to those on the continent, so i am afraid i won't get much of replies if i posted them!

So if you are a German, French, Italian, Spanish or one from UK i guess just one Europe section here is good enough, but Europe is much more!

Btw, in our local section on SSC we speak english in all the threads, so everyone else on the site can easilly join in, even though it is a local section.